Your digital desktop, like your physical desktop, can have a big impact on your conscious and unconscious mental state as it’s the first thing you see when you turn on your computer.
- Set aside 30-60 minutes today to address your desktop (more if it’s really full).
- Items on the desktop using fall into one of three categories
- Action – something you need to do
- Reference – something you want to keep but no further action is required
- Trash – some document or program you no longer need/use
- If you don’t currently have any digital filing system, start by creating 5-10 folders by theme (e.g. home, work, finances, medical, kids, etc). You can create additional sub-folders within the initial theme folders later if you find you want greater levels of organization in the future, but for now this will give you a place to put reference documents currently living on your desktop.